Joseph F. Ott came to Irwin in 1954, after learning his trade at a family funeral home in Hastings, Pa, known as Easley's. Like many funeral homes of the day, Easley's was part funeral home, part furniture store. It was a time when skilled tradesmen handcrafted furniture on-site, and, of course, produced caskets as well for the funeral side of the business.
Joseph fell in love with the Irwin area and purchased a local funeral home from the David Glunt family. He would work there for the rest of his life, becoming a well-known figure in the Irwin community.
In 1967, the Joseph F. Ott Funeral Home underwent extensive remodeling, adding two spacious parlors, a reception area, and a casket display room. By 1987, Joseph's son John had graduated from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science and came to work at the funeral home. In 1995, John bought the business from his father and invested in another remodeling project, this time adding a beautiful chapel area with the capacity to comfortably seat 135 people. Also added or improved were an arrangement area and a state of the art casket selection room.
In 2013, John purchased the current location on Pennsylvania Avenue which allows for additional accommodations such as a lounge area, hospitality room, and larger parking lot. After complete renovation, the business has officially opened with full operation on April 20, 2015.